06 April 2009

Book Review: My Little Red Book by Rachel Kauder Nalebuff


My Little Red Bookis a collection of true stories from women and teen girls about the experience of their first period. Reading this book is empowering. I've certainly never shared my personal story with anyone, but now I feel like it would be OK to do so. As the editor states, talking about periods, even just among women, is fairly taboo. One of the things I found striking is that girls' experiences could be so similar across the boundaries of time (from the early 20th century to the present) and space (from all around the world.)

I felt compelled to read 'just one more' of the stories every time I picked it up. Bravo to the editor for having the guts to share her story and then gather stories from others to share with the rest of the world. This book should become just as coveted by young girls as Are You There God? It's Me Margaret.

As a side note, when I was just about done with the book, my (newly adult) daughter asked me about certain cultural differences regarding first periods. I knew the answer only because of some of the stories. She insisted that she be next to read the book. I think I'll tell her MY story first.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's really remarkable. I think breasts sprouting and hips widening and all other inevitable female ritual are much more worthy of discussion that is normally allowed. It sounds like a great book. You convinced me!

I wanted to text back to you this: "Aside from love, friendship, and shelter, the chili queso may be the best gift you ever gave me." But I don't know if you get charged for texts or not so I stopped. And it was good. I almost ate the whole thing I was so hungry. And then I realized that would be equivalent to eating an entire package of velveeta plus a can of chili. I saved some for later.